Summer produce is coming in hot this summer and we are seeing the bounty at the farmers markets and in our gardens. For those who planted gardens, you’re probably seeing a lot of squash and zucchini filling your garden. This is a go-to dish that I often make during the summer months.
I love this dish because it’s easy, full of delicious flavor, healthy and includes many summer garden staples that are flourishing right now. Have fun playing with different veggies and herbs. For me, I like to include fresh garlic, onion, peppers (any variety) and tomatoes. If you like a little heat, you can add in different kinds of hot peppers. Fresh herbs are great for health and detoxification. I love to use basil with this dish but you can also add in parsley, oregano, etc.
Zucchini is a healthy addition to meals as it provides antioxidants. It’s been linked to reduced inflammation, support heart health, improved vision and may help with weight loss. Add in more color of healthy veggies and you can have a powerhouse plate of health and flavor.
- 1 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 yellow squash, chopped
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes or fresh cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 teaspoons Italian herbs (or fresh herbs)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnish: Fresh basil
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm oil. Add the onions and garlic, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, squash and peppers.
- Add in the tomatoes and stir occasionally to avoiding browning or burning.
- Sprinkle the herbs of choice and blend ingredients.
- Cover and cook the blend on low (stirring from time to time).
- The squash and zucchini will be tender and lightly crisp.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve.
- Enjoy! 😋
Note: If you’re planning to freeze this dish, combine ingredients and cook for only a few minutes. Allow the dish to cool completely and freeze for later use.